Monday, February 9, 2009

Technoliteracy Memoir Part III


Then there was the classic typewriter that my mother introduced to me at the age of seven. I typed many stories on the typewriter however when the bell would ring the typewriter had to be manually turned to the next line of text. If this task was not done the typewriter would continue to go until it came to an end and then just type letter over letter until I would look at the typewriter. This continuously caused me problems because I often lost valuable time and text. I was ecstatic when the electric typewriter was introduced to me in the 7th grade. Once all settings were programmed into the typewriter it would do everything for you minus the revisions which if a mistake was made it had to be manually backspaced and corrected. However this was still much more advanced than the original type writer because if there was a mistake there was not a correcting tape so the letter would just be typed over another letter and it was sometimes difficult to distinguish what was the intended letter. The electric type writer used some type of correction tape that dried instantly and then you could type over the letter to be revised and it looked much neater and much more professional. Finally, there was the personal computer which consisted of a program that completed spell and grammar checks. However one cannot be totally dependent upon the grammar checks because sometimes they are incorrect. It is still very advanced and it is something that I use within my employment on a daily basis. Emails are also one of the new technologies that have recreated the thought of writing a formal business letter. Emails have taken some of the formality away from business technical writing. It actually creates a virtual bridge between individuals who hold upper level management positions and staff. This makes management feel more tangible which was not the case prior to interoffice emails and correspondence. I have also become acquainted with text messaging and I believe that because of it my writing competency has digressed.

With all of the abbreviations that are used within text messaging it has made it much easier for me to have spelling and grammatical errors in my writing. I am extremely disappointed with this form of technology however it has its advantages such as the easy access for communication. However I am curious to study this particular subject to see how text messaging can affect SAT/GRE scores. It has to some how stagnate the vocabulary when text messaging is utilized continuously. For instance if there was a half man half beast on television I wouldn't dare text someone the phrase "turn it to channel 32, there is an extraordinarily large anthropormorphic character on this movie". I may simply type "look at that big creepy thing on 32". So, will that create some sort of gap in cognitive functions such as word association,memory, concept formation and mental imagery? Could we become so technologically advanced that we revert back to the "cave man" era with simple grunts and smiles as a form of dialect? Only this time it will be through the use of some electrodes and copperwiring that we send the smiles and grunts? I may live to find some support for my theory. Other types of technology that are available now such as blogs, podcasting, instant messaging etc. I have not yet used and never heard of prior to this class. I find the concept of all of these forms quite difficult to grasp however I am anxious to continue the course to reveal more hidden potential for my literary skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment